Thursday, October 26, 2006

 
Wow, it's now Thursday and I haven't updated the blog yet. Sorry everyone. I've been so busy. When I put Lukas to sleep at night, I always tell myself I will get up to write the blog but it never happened. So, Lukas is still up and playing right now. It's about 9 P.M.

I hired a helper on Tuesday to help me take care of Lukas. Yuan, the helper, is really nice and attentive. I never leave Lukas out of my sight unless I have to go do my thing; if you know what I mean. Lukas got his 4th SCT yesterday, another spinal injection. Those always require more work and care because we have to keep the IV line open for 4 days, plus the next IV stem cell treatment round. To prevent poking Lukas so many times, we typically keep his IV from the spinal treatment until the next time he gets his IV stem cell treatment. That is almost 1 week to keep an IV line. Lukas is very uncomfortable and I feel bad for him too. He doesn't sleep well and that means I can't sleep well either. He likes to bite the IV line off, so I put an arm prompt to keep his arms straight. By the way, YOU NEED AN ARM WRAP/OR PROMPT if you have small children who are getting IVs. It's better with them. In my case, I got arm and leg wraps for Lukas. He's a feisty boy!! And very strong too! So, we have to keep the IV line open until Monday when he has his stem cell treatment number 5. We plan to have a total of 7 by the time we leave China on November 10th.

By the way, I totally recommend getting an apartment condo if you can when you're doing stem cell treatment. Although, logistically it's harder to move to and from the hospital and apartment/hotel, it's all worth it in the end. We do have a private car that is affiliated with the apartment so they can help you with everything. Almost all TAXI drivers DO NOT help you with your stroller or bags or anything. They just wait for you to load things up, and get frustrated when you take too long. Hello, I only have 2 arms, 1 handicapped child, a stroller, milk bag, diaper bag, grocery bag, food bag, etc. Can you get your ass out of the driver seat and help me? NO? I didn't think so.... I don't know if TAXI drivers in the States are like that or not. Here, 99% of the people only care about themselves and what they are doing. They don't have any considerationg or politeness for others... even if you are old, disabled, etc. The private car driver, Mr. Wong, does everything for me including folding and unfolding the stroller, loading the bags, etc. I just have to carry Lukas and get in the car. I pay him the same as I would with the Taxi.

People at the hospital and their children feel confined and the kids feel stressed. Because it's hard to go outside and explore with a stroller or wheelchair, often times people with children stay at the hospital most of the time and it can be stressful. As for Lukas, I've never seen him so happy ever. Aside from getting poked for the IVs, he's always very into what we're doing and happy when moving around. We feel like the hospital is the treatment center and the apartment is our real rest place... our home away from home. So Lukas and I are extremely comfortable. Moving to and from isn't so bad and you get used to the routine. We wake up really early everyday anyways regardless of staying at the hospital or apartment.

IMPROVEMENTS: I've decided to put a list together of the change I see in Lukas and post it later. For now, I don't want to say too much. I do see some immediate changes and I hope these are just the beginning of something better to come when the stem cells have had time to mature and multiply. God, please bless my son, Lukas, so that he can recover more and more each day. Each improvement you give to Lukas is a testament of your miracle, love, and mercy. We love you so much!

We miss and love you daddy Louis, Ba Ngoai, Ba Noi, anh Lance, em Leland, Bac Dave and Yen, Bac Ty and Dan, Anh Derek and Grant, Bac Duy, Godparents Crystal and Gerald and Ba Be, Cindy, Nathan, Nicholas, and Henry. Thanks for all your love, support, and prayers. We love you always! And thanks to all our friends who email us like Thuy, Quang, and Minh, Mark, Yonnus, Nancy, etc.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?