Friday, October 27, 2006

 
Today is Friday and another typical day. Lukas got NGF through his IV in the morning, took a nap, and then had therapy. We get up at 7 A.M., each morning and arrive at the hospital by 9A.M. We left the hospital today at around 3 P.M. I tried to push to get Lukas to get his IV earlier in the day so we can go back to the apartment early and have time to do other things. Lukas will not get another stem cell IV on Monday, but rather another spinal injection. So we will remove his IV on Saturday, and start another IV line on Monday while he is sleeping in the operating room. The plan is the IV line will remain open until Friday when Lukas gets his 6th stem cell treatment. Then on Monday, Nov. 6th, Lukas will get his final SCT which will again be a spinal injection. Daddy will arrive on Tuesday moring, Nov. 7th, and will take us home on Nov. 10th. I'm afraid Lukas will have another horrible flight coming back like he did coming to Shenzhen. He cried and we (grandpa and I) had to hold him for 10 hours. I nearly broke my back. So, hopefully Daddy can help with the holding. When I get back to the States I have to see a doctor about my back. It's gotten to the point where I can't get up after I sit down. And I can't get up after I bend down to grab something. I mean I can, but my backpain level is like a 9 out of 10, and I feel like keeling over. And, I've been loading up on Advil each day and it's not doing any good.

I don't like to take Lukas out after dark (it gets dark at around 5 PMish). So, today we went to Sea World after we left the hospital. It was really fun and Lukas enjoyed it. Sea World is not like the ones in the States. The one here is more like San Francisco's Pier 39 if any of you have been there. It's a bunch of restaurants, shops, street vendors, and people hanging out by the waterfront. Our apartment condo is located about 5 minutes walk from Sea World. The apartment is about 30 feet from the water. If I jump out my balcony I can probably land and swim in the water. Just kidding. I don't know how to swim. So, I took Lukas to a Brazilian BBQ buffet. They have all kinds of grilled meats on skewers that they bring around to the tables and serve to you at the table. There are also lots of dishes that you can get at the buffet area. It's quite delicious and inexpensive. There all kinds of restaurants here from Indian, to Italian, to Russian, Chinese, American steak house, American fast foods, etc. It was exciting for us to hang out at Sea World today because this weekend is the International Food Festival at Sea World. So there are loud music, and food vendors serving food outside of the restaurants. You can also rent anything from a mechanical walking horse for the kids, to a Segway for he adults. The walkways are all transformed into cuisine alleys for all to enjoy this weekend. Then at 9 P.M., they also had fireworks.

After we ate at 6PM, we left for the apartment at around 7:30ish. The helper and I gave Lukas a bath when we got home and then played with him. At 9 P.M., we heard loud, booming sounds but didn't know what they were. Turns out there were fireworks at Sea World. So I went out the balcony and the fireworks were right in front of my face. Lukas enjoyed being in the balcony too as I tried to burp him. The fireworks were beautiful and I got everything on my camcorder. Shenzhen is a modernized and beautiful city. There are many many many modern and very tall buildings here. Of all the places I've visited in Asia, I can totally see myself living here. It's nice and affordable. Though the people here are generally rude, and the cars want to run you over, you can get use to everything. However, once these people become your friends, they can be really generous, helpful, trustworthy, loyal, and kind. I've met some people here who turn out to be really helpful, caring, and protective of me and Lukas. I'm very grateful for these people who are Maggie (my sister-in-law's friend's friend) and her husband, Gary (my sister-in-law's friend who introduced me to Maggie), Yuan (my helper), Mr. Wong (my driver), and Jia Chuang (the security guard).

I've also met some really nice people and hung out with some wonderful families including Gabby and his mother, Rita and Mason, Debra and her mother Jean, Bill and his wife Babes, and a bunch of other people on the 14th floor who are really nice. The staff Jon, Grace, Camilla, Sunny, Jillian, and Andrea are all really helpful and nice. They get things done. Just be on top of things with them.

Well, good night.

Comments:
Great Article! Have you ever visited Qingdao, China? I'm from California and am currently working and living in Qingdao. If you want to find out more information about the city have a look at Qingdao Travel & Living Guide they have information on restaurants, bars, real estate, apartments, ESL schools, Jobs & Careers, the upcoming 2008 Olympics, medical care, and a lot more.

take care
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?