Monday, October 23, 2006

 
Hi Everyone! It's Monday, 10/23, at 7:50 P.M. I didn't realize my apartment had free wireless networks. There are actually 5 unsecured networks. So, I can't do any sensitive data, but can check email and write Lukas's blogs. Anyhoo, this is good because I can actually keep you all updated more. Recently, things have been kinda hectic since we try to leave the hospital as soon as Lukas's activities are over. So I don't have time to use the computer at the hospital.

So, last Friday, Lukas had his 3rd stem cell treatment by IV. It was easy; but Lukas cried so much. It's not the pain, he's just really really aware and scared. After we finished the IV, we left for the apartment and he was fine. On Saturday, we had dim sum at this awesome awesome restaurant with some of our friends at the hospital. It was hard to order the dim sum without being able to look at the items and point. Good thing, Maggie was there to help us translate the Chinese dim sum menu. Then, on Sunday, after church in the morning, we went to Low Wu Commercial Industry building with Rita and her 11 year old son, Mason. They're from Indiana and really nice people. I like hanging out with Rita. Both boys, Lukas and Mason, behaved really well. Both moms were quite surprised and loving it. We did some shopping for knockoffs. It was fun wheeling and dealing.

Then, today Lukas had therapies at 9am and 2pm. Then, we went home afterwards and are relaxing. This week, Lukas will have just one SC treatment on Wednesday. It will be another spinal injection. I dread SI the most because Lukas has to keep his IV for 3 extra days - each day he gets more nerve growth factor (NGF). So to prevent poking him each day, we opt to keep the IV line open. I know some of you emailed me regarding how safe it is to keep the IV lines open, which I completely understand. But what you don't know is that the nurses and doctors here have NO concept of wearing gloves or sanitizing their hands. They don't even use alcohol swabs, just Q-Tip dipped in iodine solution. The iodine solution is a big jar that gets dipped many times over. Anyhow, every time I ask the nurse to use PURELL before handling Lukas's IV, etc., they get kinda annoyed and irritated, but I could care less. So, parents bring the below:
- Gloves if you want them to use it, then make them use it. Don't be surprised if they get irritated or refuse when you make this request.
- PURELL
- Battery operated, small fan
- Sun block if you have sensitive skin
- Alcohol swabs
- All the medicine you need... they don't have any OTC meds we have in the U.S. like Tylenol, Advil, Immodium AD, etc.
- All the milk for your child. Do not use milk here as they do not have a pasteurized system or standards.
- Something to play music with like computer or portable stereo, etc. You get really bored here so you'll need something to entertain yourselves. They do have DVD player and TV in the rooms. But not all rooms have DVD players.
- More to come...

I also hired a helper today because grandpa can't help me forever. He's gotta head back to the States soon. So I have to get someone to help me take care of Lukas. It's really busy to take care of Lukas and logistically it's hard to move around with just me, Lukas, and the stroller... and milk bag, and diaper bag, and grocery bag, and food bag, etc.... Taxis don't help you, so you gotta do everything yourself. Sometimes, I have to put Lukas down on the floor (on a blanket of course), then put all the bags away, and the stroller, etc., then get Lukas. It's hard moving around with just me doing everything. Not to mention the streets here are not handicapped or stroller friendly. There are many steps, everywhere, and typically in front of the store you want to enter. So, usually you need two people to carry Lukas and the stroller up the steps. There are few ramps here... actually there's only one, which is at the hospital entrance. That's it!!! No other ramps. Elevator is also a missing item at shopping centers and grocery stories. Everything here is built vertically and they only use escalators, not many elevators. So it's even harder to take Lukas and his stroller anywhere. I guess I could carry him around with me, but that means I have no hands left for grocery shopping or carrying other items.

Well, that's it for now... til next time. We love and miss you all. I miss you so much Lance and, especially my wee one, Leland.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?